Using Social Media While Job Searching
Applying for jobs? Here are some things you'll want to keep in mind about your social media during a job search:
- Use the right platform for the right message. For instance, keep LinkedIn focused on your professional thoughts and generally stay away from political topics.
- Find ways to reinforce your brand. For example, using Instagram to showcase projects you worked on is great! Keep your social media presence consistent throughout the different outlets.
- Social media can be a powerful, but overlooked, job search tool — primarily through LinkedIn and Twitter. You can research employers, connect with recruiters and be one of the first to know about new openings.
- Keep your profile current — especially on LinkedIn. You don't need to spend a lot of time on it, but just making sure you are keeping your profile fresh and updated with your responsibilities and goals can pay off.
- Social media can be used for more than just looking for jobs. Finding ways to network with fellow alumni, researching potential employers and staying current in your field are all meaningful ways to utilize social media.
Is it Safe to Like that Post?
Top Ten Job Search Sites
Embracing Today's Tech